LEUTNER, WINFRED G. (1 Mar. 1879-25 Dec. 1961), classical scholar, educator, and administrator, was born in Cleveland to Frederick M. and Mary Ernst Leutner. He graduated from Adelbert College (See: CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY) in 1901. He was an instructor in Greek at Flora Stone Mather College and Adelbert Colleges (1904), and attended Johns Hopkins University, receiving a master's degree (1903) and Ph.D. (1905). He was assistant professor of Greek at Wittenberg College (1905-06) and instructor of Latin and Greek at Adelbert (1906-09). From 1907-08 he studied at the American School of Classical Studies at Rome and Athens. He was instructor of Greek and Latin at Adelbert (1909-15), becoming a full professor in 1915. In 1912 he became dean of Adelbert College, and in 1925 dean of university administration. Leutner helped establish Cleveland College, the downtown adult education college, and was its acting director (1925-26). In 1934 he was inaugurated WRU's 8th president. During his tenure (1934-49), Adelbert College, the School of Architecture, Case Reference Library, and Cleveland College were absorbed into the university corporation. Leutner received LL.D.s from the College of Wooster (1935); Wittenberg College (1935); and Oberlin College (1937); and an L.H.D. from Case Institute of Technology (1948). Leutner retired as president emeritus in 1949 and was named an honorary trustee of WRU. He married Emily Payne Smith in 1910, and had 1 son, Frederick S., and 2 daughters, Mrs. Mary (John L.) Willett and Mrs. Ruth (Geo. M.) Gantz.