LEVINE, MANUEL V. (25 May 1881-6 May 1939), lawyer and judge, was born in Vilna, Russia, to David J. and Michelle (Corban) Levine. He immigrated to Cleveland in 1897 and was a star alumnus of the English-language and naturalization classes at HIRAM HOUSE. Levine graduated from Western Reserve University Law School with the LL.B. degree and was admitted to the Ohio bar in June 1902. Appointed assistant police prosecutor and assistant solicitor to NEWTON D. BAKER in May 1903, Levine targeted employment offices that bled foreigners seeking their first jobs of a large portion of their wages. Very much aware of the necessity for immigrants to learn English, he taught evening naturalization and English classes at Hiram House. Levine was elected police judge in 1908, municipal judge in 1911, and common pleas court judge in 1914, with reelection in 1920. In 1923, he became a judge on the Ohio Court of Appeals, twice selected as chief justice. As a judge, Levine displayed understanding, great sympathy, and empathy for those in distress. His philosophy was to place human rights above property rights, and he sought to guard the individual against any unlawful intrusions. Levine seldom hesitated to strike out against social conditions he saw as breeding grounds for CRIME. He instituted the Domestic Relations Bureau in common pleas court, established the state's first probation department, and pioneered court-sponsored domestic conciliation efforts. Levine married Jessie Bialosky in Mar. 1910 and had 3 children, Robt. M., Alfred D., and Mitzi. Levine was buried in the Mayfield Jewish Cemetery.
Finding aid for the Manuel Levine Papers, WRHS.