The LUTHERAN HOME, opened in 1936, is a nonprofit residential and nursing facility for the elderly on twenty acres at 2116 Dover Center Road in WESTLAKE. The home is owned and operated by the Lutheran Home Association, which consists of seventy-five Lutheran churches in Northeast Ohio. Originally located in a small frame house which accommodated six people, by 1985 the Lutheran Home housed 222. The facility first expanded in 1939, when the house was replaced by a fireproof three-story brick building. Enlarged in 1944 and again in 1958, by the next year the home could accommodate seventy residents. Beginning in 1961, the home built three cottages, each containing four apartments, providing independence but retaining access to the nursing facilities. Denominational and health restrictions for applicants were eliminated in 1957. The home has been certified by Medicare as an extended-care facility and by Medicaid as a skilled and intermediate nursing facility. In 1980 the home expanded its facilities, expending $5.4 million to erect an addition which increased its capacity from eighty to 222 residents. In 2002 Lutheran Home had provided long-term care to more than 3,000 individuals. In 2006 the Home's vision statement was to "realize optimal health, healing, hospitality, and happiness for...residents." Dennis Bruce was executive director at that time.