MALONE COLLEGE, a Christian liberal arts college, was founded in Cleveland in March 1892 as the Christian Workers Training School. It was established by J. WALTER and EMMA B. MALONE for the purpose of training men and women for the ministry and missionary fields, and "to be skilled in knowledge and use of the written word of God." Emma's role as a founder and leader of the school was in the tradition of women leadership in the Bible School movement.
The school was soon renamed the Cleveland Bible Institute and was located on Cedar Ave. It was incorporated in 1899, and renamed the Cleveland Bible College in 1937. The Malones both retired in 1917. In 1945 the college moved from 3219 Cedar Ave. to 3201 Euclid Ave. The latter was the former DANIEL P. EELLS residence. In 1956 this Quaker college was renamed in honor of its founder. The next year it moved from its Euclid Ave. home to a new campus in Canton. The college relocated to be closer to a group of Friends churches that sponsored the school. As of 1994, the college had an enrollment of 1,924 and a faculty of 141; Dr. Ronald G. Johnson headed the school.
Oliver, John W. J. Walter Malone (1993).
Johns, David., ed. A Hope and a Future (1993).