MARSHALL, LYCURGUS LUTHER (9 July 1888-12 Jan. 1958), lawyer and brother and law partner of Cleveland mayor JOHN D. MARSHALL, was born in Bucyrus, Ohio to Daniel and Mary (Gerster) Marshall. He graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University (1909) and taught while attending law school at Western Reserve University. He graduated and was admitted to the bar in 1915. A Republican, Marshall was elected as state representative (1921-22), and state senator (1923-35). He was also president of the Euclid Board of Education (1923-31). As state senator, Marshall was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and noted for introducing the bill eliminating legal restrictions against the presentation of motion pictures on Sundays. In 1931, he successfully supported a new corporation code and a new probate code. Marshall also authored the bill allowing the issuance of tax-anticipation warrants, or "scrip money," to pay county employees during the Depression. In 1933, Marshall chaired the banking committee, investigating banks closed by the Depression. This resulted in the conviction of 2 bank presidents and several bank officers. In 1934 and 1936, Marshall ran unsuccessfully as the Republican nominee for congressional representative-at-large, winning in 1938. He was defeated in 1940 for reelection as well as for a common pleas court vacancy. He returned to his law practice, but in 1950 ran for Ohio secretary of state, however he was ruled off the ballot because of invalid petitions and a resulting lack of signatures in enough counties. Marshall married Minnie Martin on 14 Aug. 1911 and had 2 sons, Hubert and Edward. He died in Cleveland and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.