MATHER, FLORA STONE (6 Apr. 1852-19 Jan. 1909), was a philanthropist dedicated to Cleveland religious, educational, and social-reform activities. Flora Amelia Stone, youngest daughter of AMASA STONE and Julia Gleason Stone, was born in the family mansion on Superior Avenue and graduated with honors from CLEVELAND ACADEMY. In 1875 her sister, Clara, married JOHN HAY; in 1881 Flora married SAMUEL MATHER. Their children were Samuel Livingston, Amasa Stone, Philip Richard, and Constance (later Mrs. Robt. Bishop).
In 1896, Mrs. Mather founded Goodrich House in honor of her childhood pastor, Rev. Wm. H. Goodrich, also supporting its outgrowth activities, including the LEGAL AID SOCIETY and CONSUMERS LEAGUE OF OHIO. Mrs. Mather supported many activities of Western Reserve University, including the Advisory Council, College for Women (renamed Mather College in her honor in 1931), and Adelbert College. In 1892 she constructed Guilford Cottage (later Guilford House), a dormitory on campus named in honor of her former teacher, LINDA T. GUILFORD. She gave funds in 1902 to construct Haydn Hall, in honor of Dr. HIRAM C. HAYDN of Old Stone Church, to which Mrs. Mather belonged for her entire lifetime. Mrs. Mather died in 1909 at Shoreby, the family's lakeshore home in BRATENAHL. Her will included bequests to over 30 religious, educational, and charitable institutions, including funds to complete AMASA STONE CHAPEL on the WRU campus, which she and her sister, Mrs. John Hay, gave in memory of their father. In 1913, a women's dormitory, named Mather House in her honor, was given to the university by alumnae and friends.
University Archives, CWRU.