MEYER, EDWARD S. (10 Aug. 1843-26 Sept. 1920), volunteer Army officer in the CIVIL WAR and U.S. attorney, was born in Canton, Ohio, son of Seraphim and Ellenora (Schuchard) Meyer. He graduated from St. Vincent's College, and enlisted as a private when the Civil War started. He became a sergeant, 20 Apr. 1861; 1st lieutenant, 1 Nov. 1861; captain, 11 Nov. 1862; and major, 16 Feb. 1865. Meyer received brevets for war service at the Battles of Shiloh (6-7 Apr. 1862) and Chancellorsville (1-4 May 1862), and was awarded the rank of brevet brigadier general, U.S. Volunteers, on 13 Mar. 1865. After the Civil War, Meyer transferred to the Regular Army cavalry, served on the frontier, and retired 24 Aug. 1875 as a result of physical disability from wounds received in the service. He returned to Canton, studying law under his father; and was appointed assistant U.S. attorney, Northern District of Ohio, in Apr. 1877, apparently moving to Cleveland. He received appointment as U.S. attorney from Pres. JAS. A. GARFIELD in 1881. After leaving the U.S. attorney's office in 1883, he worked to stop the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages, supporting the proposed 2d Amendment to the Ohio constitution, serving on the advisory board of the Second Amendment Herald. The amendment never passed. He returned to private law practice in Cleveland, also serving as 1st lieutenant in the 1st Cleveland Troop, 1877-78, and 2 terms as president of the CLEVELAND GRAYS, 1885-87.
Meyer married Jennie Houser and had 4 children: Oren B., Edward S., Albert W., and John H. He died in Cleveland and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.