NADAS, JOHN B. (28 Jan. 1903-25 Aug. 1992) won honors from Cleveland mayors George Voinovich and Ralph Perk for his international contributions in ethnic affairs. He founded the Hungarian Association to preserve native culture among HUNGARIANS in Cleveland, the ARPAD ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES (1966, which later spread to 50 countries) to recognize authors, scientists and artists of Hungarian descent, and the Arpad Federation. Nadas also organized what was reportedly the first Hungarian Meeting in the Free World (1961), later the annual Hungarian Congress. Nadas was born in Kecskemet, Hungary, son of Janos and Rozsa Boka Papp Nadas. He was president of the Hungarian Association of Student Organizations as a youth and part of a delegation representing Hungary at the dedication of New York City's Kossuth Memorial (1928). Having worked in political and cultural organizations in Hungary, after WORLD WAR II, Nadas immigrated first to Austria (1944) and then to the United States (1950). Moving to Cleveland in 1951, he worked for GENERAL ELECTRIC at NELA PARK for 10 years before retiring. Mayor Voinovich presented Nadas with the key to the city and designated him honorary mayor in 1989.
Nadas served as an officer in the American Hungarian Federation, the National Federation of American Hungarians, the U.S. Chapter of the Transylvanian World Federation, and the Free Hungarian World Council. A single man, he lived in LAKEWOOD and is buried in West Park Cemetery.