CWRU Links
Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

NOTRE DAME COLLEGE OF OHIO

NOTRE DAME COLLEGE OF OHIO

NOTRE DAME COLLEGE OF OHIO is a Catholic women's college established by the SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME to develop women in the Christian humanist tradition. Its beginnings were in an academy erected by the sisters at Superior Ave. and E. 18th St. when they came to Cleveland from Germany in 1874 on the invitation of Bp. RICHARD GILMOUR; a branch academy with a boarding school was opened on Woodland Hills Ave. in 1877. On 18 Sept. 1922, the 4-year liberal-arts college for women was founded by Mother Mary Cecilia, 3rd superior general of the Sisters of Notre Dame, in temporary quarters at 1324 Ansel Rd. The college moved to its present 53-acre site in S. EUCLID at Green and College roads in 1928. Additions to the campus since the 1950s include an administration building, Connelly Student Ctr., and Clara Fritsche Library. The Jos. H. Keller Ctr., dedicated in 1987, houses an NCAA-size swimming pool and a gymnasium. Notre Dame offers bachelor's degrees in 36 areas, associate degrees in 3, and, since 1991, a master's in education designed strictly for the classroom teacher. With a student/faculty ratio of 10:1, it is accredited by the North Central Assn. of Colleges and Schools. The college's nutrition/dietetics program is accredited by the American Dietetics Assn. The paralegal studies program is approved by the American Bar Assn. A Science Research Center opened in 1994 with state-of-the-art equipment to allow undergraduate students to work on research side by side with faculty. Its Center for Pastoral Theology and Ministry is one of 9 such programs in the country. The Center for Excellence in Education, also opened in 1994, provides resources for teachers on cooperative learning and teaching. In 1994 Notre Dame had an enrollment of 700, with 36 full-time and 48 part-time faculty.