The 124TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1862-65, was a three year regiment, raised to fight in the American CIVIL WAR, and was under the command of Colonel OLIVER HAZARD PAYNE. It was organized at Camp Cleveland (see CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND) in the fall of 1862 and mustered into federal service on 1 Jan. 1863.
It moved from Louisville to Elizabethtown, KY, where it remained until Feb. 1863 as a part of the District of Western Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio. It was eventually assigned to the Army of Kentucky, and later the Army of the Cumberland. The regiment participated in the Chattanooga-Ringgold and Atlanta campaigns and was active in the relief of Knoxville, TN. It also saw action at Chickamauga, Resaca, and Kenesaw Mountain. The unit was mustered out at Nashville on 16 June1865, and its men paid off and discharged at Camp Cleveland shortly thereafter. The 124th lost 7 officers and 78 enlisted men to hostile action and 1 officer, 124 enlisted to disease.
One soldier of the regiment received the Medal of Honor. On 16 Dec. 1864, Corporal Franklin Carr of Co. D, recaptured the U.S. guidon from a rebel battery that had seized the pennant. In doing so, he earned the nation’s highest honor, and was presented with his medal on 24 Feb, 1865.
|1st Brigade, 3d Div., Army of Kentucky, Dept. of the Cumberland||Feb. - June 1863|
|2d Brigade, 2d Div., 21st Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland||June - Oct. 1863|
|2d Brigade, 3d Div., 4th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland||Oct. 1863 - June 1865|
Updated by Meghan Schill
Lewis, George W. The Campaigns of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry (1894).