OAKWOOD, one of the smaller communities in Cuyahoga County, was originally part of Bedford Twp. and incorporated as a village in 1951. Occupying 3.87 sq. mi., it is southeast of Cleveland, bounded on the north by BEDFORD, on the south by Summit County, on the east by GLENWILLOW, and on the west by WALTON HILLS. Oakwood became the county's 58th municipality when residents from the southeastern portion of Bedford Twp. voted to create the village. The creation of BEDFORD HTS. and Walton Hills that same year brought an end to Bedford Twp., formed in 1823. In 1962 residents unsuccessfully petitioned to have Oakwood annexed to SOLON, in an effort to thwart plans for PUBLIC HOUSING. Oakwood's population grew slowly, from 3,283 in 1960 to 3,392 in 1990 and 3,667 in 2000. Financial problems threatened to halt the village's development. The Oakwood Village Boosters' Club was formed and raised funds through the sale of promissory notes and other projects, enabling the purchase of property to house municipal offices. In 1955 a service building was constructed, and in 1960 a police department was created. In 1985 the village operated under the mayor-council form of government. The schools of Oakwood Village are affiliated with the Bedford School District. The village is crossed by CONRAIL and the NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP. RAILROAD. Oak Park Health Care Center and Great Lakes Truck Equipment were among its largest employers in 1982.
See also SUBURBS.