The OHIO CITY ARGUS, Ohio City's first newspaper, appeared in time to promote the interests of west-siders in the famous Bridge War of 1836 (see COLUMBUS ST. BRIDGE). Established on 26 May 1836 by Lyman W. Hall and TIMOTHY H. SMEAD, the 4-page weekly was Whiggish in its political affiliation. After 5 months, Hall dropped out of the partnership, leaving Smead to carry on alone as editor and publisher. The Argus led a precarious existence for 2 years, being burned out of one office and reduced to accepting payment in kind before its demise in the summer of 1838. The following Sept., Smead began a new Whig weekly named the Ohio Transcript and Farmers' Register, which evidently had an even shorter career than the Argus.