The PHILHARMONIC STRING QUARTET was founded in 1886 by Geo. Lehman, A. Reinhardt, Julius Hermann, and Chas. Heydler (from the newly organized PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA). Its purpose was to bring to life the classics of music and to contribute to the cultural development of Cleveland. Concerts were given in Cleveland, Akron, Oberlin, Tiffin, and Erie. When Lehman went to Europe in 1888 to continue his studies in music, he was replaced by John Marquardt. EMIL RING, Franklin F. Bassett, and JAS. H. ROGERS assisted the Philharmonic String Quartet on piano for the works of Schubert and Schumann. In 1897 SOL MARCOSSON came into the quartet from the FORTNIGHTLY MUSICAL CLUB. It was then considered to be the leading chamber music group in the city, not only because of its collective ability but also because it added works by Borodin, Faure, Franck, and Wolf to the standard quartet repertory. Chas. Heydler, the remaining original member in 1900, also played cello with the SCHUBERT and BECK STRING QUARTETs. Sol Marcosson and Carl Dueringer played violins, and Jas. Johnston played the viola. CHAS. V. RYCHLIK replaced Dueringer as second violinist in 1908. In May 1917 the quartet was joined by JOHANN BECK (viola) and Oscar Eiler (violoncello) to play Brahms's Sextet in B Flat, Op. 18, and Beck's Sextet in D Minor. The Philharmonic String Quartet dissolved in 1928.
Alexander, J. Heywood. It Must Be Heard (1981).