POLYCLINIC HOSPITAL, located at 6606 Carnegie Ave., was organized in Feb. 1930 on the "Cornell Plan," which provided for maintenance of several small buildings and clinic services outside the main hospital. Polyclinic Hospital purchased and renovated the ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL's old building on Carnegie. The clinic was staffed by a group of St. Luke's physicians. In 1971 Polyclinic established the first health center operated by a hospital to serve inner-city residents. Its satellite clinics treated urologic and venereal diseases. Plans to move to SOLON and/or merge with St. Luke's Hospital or Bedford Municipal Hospital were proposed and abandoned. Polyclinic closed and merged with WOMAN'S GENERAL HOSPITAL in April 1978.
See also HOSPITALS.