ROCKPORT, one of the northwestern townships of Cuyahoga County, was created 24 Feb. 1819. Made up of 22 1-sq.-mi. sections, it was divided by the Rocky River. In the ensuing years, the cities and villages of LAKEWOOD, ROCKY RIVER, FAIRVIEW PARK, and LINNDALE would be created out of the township. The township's fertile soil encouraged the creation of farms, orchards, vineyards, greenhouses, and nurseries. Clay deposits fostered the production of brick and tile. Sarah Dean and DATUS KELLEY were the township's first permanent residents. In 1891 the area west of the river was organized as the hamlet of Rocky River. The area east of the river became the hamlet of Lakewood in 1885. In 1910 Fairview Village was created out of the southern portion of Rocky River. By the 1990s the former township had become principally suburban residential communities.