ROSENWASSER, MARCUS (4 Oct. 1846-4 Sept. 1910), physician and teacher, was born in Bohemia, son of Herman and Rosalia Rosenwasser. He came to Cleveland with his family in 1852, graduated from CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL in 1864, then returned to Europe to study medicine at the universities of Prague and Wurzburg. He worked in European hospitals and completed postgraduate work at Wurzburg and the University of Vienna before returning to Cleveland in 1868. Rosenwasser specialized in obstetrics and gynecology, serving for many years as an obstetrician at St. Ann's Maternity Hospital in Woodland, in great demand by the immigrant community. He was also a resident gynecologist at MT. SINAI Hospital, consulting gynecologist at ST. JOHN HOSPITAL and City Hospital, and visiting surgeon at Cleveland General Hospital. Rosenwasser was professor of gynecology at Cleveland College for Physicians & Surgeons and professor of obstetrics at Wooster University Medical School. He served as dean at both institutions.
In 1901, Mayor TOM L. JOHNSON appointed Rosenwasser president of the CLEVELAND BOARD OF HEALTH, a position he held 2 years. Rosenwasser belonged to several medical societies and was president for 1 term of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY. Although not an active Jewish communal leader, Rosenwasser rendered service to the community as volunteer physician for the JEWISH ORPHAN HOME for 42 years. He was also a board member of the TEMPLE and was a member of B'NAI B'RITH and the EXCELSIOR CLUB.
Rosenwasser married Ida Rohrheimer in 1877. They had 4 children: Paul, Herman, Alice, and an unnamed son who died in infancy. Rosenwasser was buried in Mayfield Cemetery.
Finding Aid for the Rosenwasser (Rosewater) Family Papers, WRHS.