The SLOVENE HOME FOR THE AGED, est. 1962, is a nursing home for elderly Slovenian-American women and men, the second nursing facility in the U.S. specifically built to serve this population (the first was located in California). Efforts to establish the home began in the local Slovenian-American community in the late 1950s. By June 1958, a board of directors had organized with Blas Novak as president. Groundbreaking for the home, at 18621 Neff Rd., took place on 30 June 1962. The original structure had the capacity to care for 24 residents; an addition in 1971 increased capacity to 87, with facilities for physical and occupational therapy. In that year the home became a skilled nursing facility. The Slovene Home for the Aged expanded again in 1982 to house 150 residents. New programs included physical, occupational and speech therapy and therapeutic recreation. In 1995 the home, still supported primarily by Slovenian-Americans, could house 170 residents. The director was Anthony Rotolo in 1995.
View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here®