SMALL AND ROWLEY was an architectural partnership that specialized in traditional Colonial and English architecture in the 1920s. Both PHILIP LINDSLEY SMALL (18 July 1890-18 May 1963) and CHAS. BACON ROWLEY (1890-17 Dec. 1984) were raised in Springfield, OH, and graduated from MIT. They had met as children in Springfield and were reunited in Cleveland, where Small had moved in 1904 and Rowley in 1920. Although the resultant firm of Small and Rowley existed only from 1921-28, and both partners pursued individual careers, they are inseparably linked because of their work for the VAN SWERINGEN brothers. Small & Rowley designed a group of 5 demonstration homes for the Van Sweringens' SHAKER HTS. development in 1924. They completed more than 40 Georgian- and Tudor-style homes, as well as residences for the Van Sweringens on S. Park Blvd. and in HUNTING VALLEY (see DAISY HILL). They also planned the CLEVELAND PLAY HOUSE (1926-27) on E. 86th St. and SHAKER SQUARE (1927-29), as well as completed the MORELAND COURTS Apts.
Small and Rowley separated in 1928, and Small formed the new firm of Philip Small & Associates. He worked almost exclusively for the Van Sweringens at first but also did the planning and design for JOHN CARROLL UNIV. In 1936 the firm became Small, Smith & Reeb, and in 1956 Small, Smith, Reeb & Draz. The firm designed the KARAMU HOUSE Theater and Community Service Bldg. (1949-59) and several buildings for WRU and Case School, including the science center and the Freiberger Library (see CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV.).
Rowley formed the firm of Chas. Bacon Rowley & Associates in 1928. He designed the Shaker Hts. Public Library, the MAYFIELD COUNTRY CLUB, and 4 buildings for Kenyon College. During the Depression, he designed experimental houses of steel sheathed with porcelain enamel shingles. After WORLD WAR II, the firm became Rowley, Payer, Huffman & Caldwell. Rowley retired in 1961 and died in Harwichport, MA.