ST. JOHN WEST SHORE HOSPITAL, opened on 1 March 1981 as St. John and West Shore Hospital and is located at 29000 Center Ridge Rd. in WESTLAKE. The hospital served as the core facility of the Westlake Health Campus. The 4-story facility was originally co-owned by ST. JOHN HOSPITAL and the West Shore Osteopathic Hospital (formerly BAY VIEW HOSPITAL, formerly located at 23200 Lake Rd.), an 111-bed voluntary not-for-profit acute-care osteopathic hospital. In 1948 Richard A. Sheppard, the founder and chief of staff of the Cleveland Osteopathic Hospital, established Bay View Hospital in the Washington H. Lawrence mansion, built in 1899-1900. A 60-bed addition was made in 1963 and a modernization completed in 1966. Dr. Stephen A. Sheppard became medical director in 1959. Bay View was one of a series of osteopathic hospitals (e.g. Brentwood Hospital (see SOUTH POINTE HOSPITAL) and RICHMOND HTS. GENERAL HOSPITAL) established when osteopathic physicians were not allowed or found it difficult to practice medicine in regular or "allopathic" hospitals. In 1981 Bay View closed and its beds were transferred to St. John West Shore Hospital. The former structure was converted into condominiums and named Cashelmara. St. John West Shore offered one of the area's first family-centered maternity programs. Through 1995 the 200 bed, not-for-profit facility belonged to the Roman Catholic Church (see CATHOLICS, ROMAN) and was operated by the SISTERS OF CHARITY OF ST. AUGUSTINE Health Network, headquartered in Richfield, OH. In May 1995 the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health Network, which also owned and operated ST. VINCENT CHARITY HOSPITAL AND HEALTH CENTER, as well as Timken Mercy Medical Center in Canton and Providence Hospital in Columbia, SC, announced plans to enter into an equal partnership with the Nashville, TN, for-profit health-care giant, Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corp.
See also HOSPITALS AND HEALTH PLANNING, MEDICINE.