URS CONSULTANTS, formerly Dalton-Dalton-Newport, was acquired by the URS Corp. in 1984 and adopted its present (1993) name in 1987. Located locally at 23355 Mercantile Rd. in BEACHWOOD, it is a firm of architects, engineers, environmental scientists, and planners. In 1947 Byron Dalton established Dalton-Dalton Associates in Cleveland as a partnership with his sons, Robert, James, and Calvin, and his nephew, George. The firm's early years were devoted to commercial and institutional architecture: stores, banks, schools, hospitals, and churches. By the early 1950s, the firm recognized the need to engage in all phases of engineering, so it added structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering services. By 1956 it offered the first total architectural and engineering service under 1 roof in the city. In 1959 Robt. Yoder, Arthur Welker, and Richard Newport were elected to partnership. The acquisition of the Akron firm of Beiswenger, Hoch & Arnold in 1965 expanded Dalton's services to include highway, bridge, heavy civil, and sanitary design. The merger also resulted in the firm's first computer section, which remained among the most advanced in the architectural and engineering fields. In 1969 the firm became Dalton-Dalton-Little following the merger with the firm of Robt. A. Little. In 1970 it merged with Loewer & Associates of Washington, DC. By 1972 the firm had changed its name to Dalton-Dalton-Little-Newport. During the 1970s it engaged in numerous city planning studies, especially in the areas of transportation and the environment. Among the firm's major Cleveland projects are the North Pt. Office Complex, the CLEVELAND STATE UNIV. Convocation Center, the Gateway Arena, and the proposed East Wing to the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY. In 1993 URS Consultants merged with Zannoni-Heckerman-Payto.