WALTERS, REUBEN W. (22 Aug. 1838-19 Apr. 1918), CIVIL WAR soldier, physician, and Cuyahoga County Soldiers & Sailors Monument Commission member, was born in Russell, Ohio (Geauga County), son of Reuben and Emily W. Walters. He began studying medicine in 1861, but halted his education to enlist as a private in Co. D, 7TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, on 15 Aug. 1864. When the 7th was mustered out in the summer of 1864, Walters was transferred to the 5th OVI to complete his enlistment. Appointed hospital steward on 16 Mar. 1864, he was mustered out of the Army 17 Mar. 1865. After the war, Walters studied at and graduated from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Cleveland Medical College, and Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College. Gov. Bishop of Ohio appointed him surgeon of the 15TH OHIO NATL. GUARD REGIMENT on 17 July 1878. Walters practiced medicine in Chagrin Falls beginning in 1867. He also served on the original building commission of the Cuyahoga County SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT, dating from 20 June 1884. Walters married Sarah F. White and had 2 children: Wilson and Franklin. He was buried in Evergreen Hills Cemetery, Chagrin Falls, Ohio.