The WAR VETERANS BAR ASSN., composed of WORLD WAR II veterans, was formed in 1946 to assist former servicemen in legal matters. Its first president was future U.S. Senator Stephen M. Young. The association expanded services in 1947 to provide legal assistance at reasonable fees to persons of moderate means. A subsidiary, the Cleveland Lawyers Referral Plan, was formed and a full-time office established in the Engineers Bldg. Its main objective was to provide preventive law through consultation. In the 1950s the association further expanded its services. Through a speaker's bureau, members addressed public groups, answering legal questions on wills, real estate, accidents, etc. The association also began to endorse judiciary candidates. In 1956 it made a demand to the chief of police that lawyers be allowed to see prisoners in jail before they were charged with a crime. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, the War Veterans Bar Assn. continued to operate its referral service, which grew to include non-veteran lawyers as well. Its services were enlarged to accommodate veterans of the VIETNAM WAR. The association also introduced annual monetary awards for law students at CLEVELAND STATE UNIV. and CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. law schools. It dissolved in the early 1980s.
See also LAW.