To Our 2020 Graduates:
We continue to regret that COVID-19 risks required us to make your commencement entirely online—and then to cancel plans for you to gather for a belated graduation last fall.
Now that vaccinations are allowing officials to lift many of the restrictions imposed in the spring of 2020, we want to give you that long-awaited celebration with one another and your loved ones. Your in-person ceremony will take place on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 23—during this year’s homecoming (Oct. 21–24).
We are still finalizing details, but wanted to let you know the date as soon as it was determined. What we can share so far is that:
- graduates will have a single indoor ceremony;
- graduates will have to pre-register to attend;
- graduates and the platform party will wear full regalia (e.g., caps and gowns);
- graduates will cross the stage and be recognized; and
- guests will be welcome so long as space and public health considerations allow.
We also are considering additional events during the weekend that would be specifically for the Class of 2020.
We recognize that you have waited for this event far longer than any graduates should, and that this communication leaves many questions unanswered.
Please know that we are working as quickly as possible to determine the venue and related logistical issues, among others. We will update you promptly as more information becomes available.
For now, we deeply appreciate your patience, and look forward to welcoming you in October.
Ben Vinson III
Provost and Executive Vice President