Updating Page and Navigation Link Names
All page names and menu link titles should match on each page. Users coming to your website might be confused if they clicked on a wrong link or if they are in the right place if the page name and the menu link title don't match. If they don't match, the breadcrumbs and URL for the page won't be consistent with the menu link.
In order to update a page name, edit the page and replace the Title section at the top of the page. Once the page name has been changed, make sure to then un-check and re-check the 'Provide a Menu Link' button on the right-hand side of the page. By re-checking this option, Drupal will automatically update the menu link title to match what is in the Title field.
Once both the Title and the Menu Link Title fields are matching, save the page as a Draft or Publish the page.
Updating the Navigation
Changing Parent Pages
Parent pages are pages that host pages underneath them. A parent page can have multiple child pages. For example, the main pages of your navigation are considered “parent” pages, while the “child” pages are those displayed in the drop-down menu.
If you want to move a page from one parent page to another:
- Edit the page and look to the right-hand side of the page under Menu Settings.
- Click on the dropdown under Parent Item and choose the new location of the page
- Save the page.
Changing Page Order
If you want to change the order of pages on a site to have one appear before the other in the navigation, you have two options.
Menu Settings Using Row Weights
Edit the page you would like to update. Under Menu Settings in the right-hand side of the page, assign the page a weight. Pages with a greater weight will be listed at the top of pages with a lower weight.
Main Navigation Menu Using Drag and Drop
- Click on the Main Navigation Menu option in the black toolbar at the top. This screen will show you the site structure of your entire website.
- On the left-hand side, use the gray crosshairs to drag and drop the pages to update the order they will appear in the navigation.
- Once you're happy with the order of the pages, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
Please only use the Main Navigation Menu option for pages of the same hierarchy, or pages that live under the same parent item. Do not use the Main Navigation Menu to move a page from a one parent page to a new one. Doing so will break the page breadcrumbs and the automatically generated URL alias for the page. If you want to move a page from one parent page to another, edit the page you would like to update and use the Menu Settings option.