A Unique and Exciting Challenge for Weatherhead Students
The Fowler Center is pleased to host an annual Impact Investing Competition for Case Western Reserve University students.
The inaugural Impact Investing Competition was held in February 2020, in partnership with Epoch Pi, a local purpose-driven investment bank, and Cleveland-based law firm McDonald Hopkins. The competition was open to all Weatherhead students and required students to use various business skills to analyze and value a B Corporation.
The purpose of the competition was to connect and engage students with the Fowler Center's mission and teach them about impact investment through a unique exercise and networking opportunity.
Participating in the Impact Competition gives students the opportunity to:
- Network with employers in the Cleveland investment and impact investment field
- Gain insight into social enterprise and sustainable value creation
- Apply valuable academic skills to a real world investment situation
- Connect with Weatherhead students from different programs
- Enhance presentation and teamwork skills
- Win meaningful rewards including cash prizes
We hope to continue to teach students at the Weatherhead School and Case Western Reserve about impact investing and social value creation. Goals for the competition include:
- Continued promotion of the value of impact investing, social value creation, and business for good education in a novel way that interests our students
- Providing additional resources before, during, and after the competition in order to help students develop presentation and business communication skills
- Working with and involving local impact-oriented financial and asset management professionals in order to better communicate to students the changing demands and evolving nature of the impact investing industry
- Provide networking opportunities for students who participate in the competition
- Explore expanding the reach of the competition into other areas that also have roles in social value creation