Leaving Case Western Reserve University: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What do I need to know?


Health Benefits

  • When I terminate employment at Case, how long will my health benefits remain in effect?

    Your health benefits (medical, dental, prescription drug, vision) remain in effect until the last day of the final month in which you worked.

  • Am I eligible to continue my health benefits after my date of termination?

    Yes, you are eligible to continue your health benefits through COBRA.

  • What is COBRA?

    COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986) is part of a Federal law that allows employees who separate from employment the right to continue their current health insurance.  COBRA provides you with an opportunity to continue medical/prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage for up to 18 months if you had coverage through Case Western Reserve University health plans. http://www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/benefits/laws.html

  • How can I receive information regarding COBRA?

    You may contact benefits administration at (216) 368-6781 for information regarding COBRA.  Also, Benefits Administration will mail to the address on file at the university within 45 days of your termination date the necessary forms to continue your insurance coverage.

  • How long do I have to enroll in COBRA?

  • A terminated employee has  60 days after the effective date of  termination or from the date of notification, whichever is later, to complete his/her enrollment for COBRA continuation coverage.

  • Can I choose to continue one or part of my current coverage, for example, medical coverage only?

  • You may continue any or all of the coverages for which you are eligible.

  • Can I change the type of coverage and/or carrier that I currently have?

  • In most cases you must keep the same coverage and /or carrier you have currently.  There are some circumstances that may allow you to elect a different coverage, however you must contact Benefits Administration to discuss your individual circumstances at (216) 368-6781.

  • How can I find out information regarding my health benefit elections?

  • You may contact Benefits Administration at (216) 368-6781.

  • What is the cost of COBRA?

  • The COBRA rate is the full premium rate.  You will be responsible for paying the combined employer and employee premium amount plus an additional 2% to cover administrative costs.

  • When is the payment due for COBRA?

  • You have 45 days after notifying Benefits Administration of your intent to enroll in COBRA before any payment is due.  Your first payment includes premiums back to the date your coverage terminated.  Coverage must be continuous.

  • Who do I contact if I have questions regarding COBRA payments?

  • Please contact Meritain Health, COBRA administrator for the university, at 877-801-1500 for questions regarding COBRA payments and due dates.

Flexible Spending Accounts
  • When will my last flexible spending account contribution be deducted from my paycheck?

    If you are enrolled in the Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending accounts, contributions end with your last pay check.

  • What claims can I submit after my termination?

    For Health Care Spending Account and Dependent Care Spending Accounts, you may only submit claims for services rendered prior to your termination.

  • What happens to my unused balance?

    According to IRS regulations, the remaining balance of Health Care Spending Account and Dependent Care Spending Account contributions after the end of the Plan year are subject to forfeit (known as the “use or lose” rule).  You have until June 30 of the following year to submit your claims for reimbursement (e.g., claims incurred during 2009 must be submitted by June 30, 2010).

    Group Life Insurance
  • What happens to my life insurance since I am no longer an employee of Case?

    The Group Life Insurance Plan will end on the employee’s effective date of termination.

  • Will I be able to continue my life insurance after my date of termination?

    Yes. You may choose to have your policy converted to an individual life insurance policy. However, the policy must be converted within thirty (30) days of the effective date of termination. For additional information please contact Benefits Administration at (216) 368-6781, Room 320, Crawford Hall.

    Retirement Plans
  • When I terminate employment, what happens to my Retirement Plan B?

    If you have worked for a period of 3 years or more as a Category II or Category III, you are entitled to a Deferred Vested Pension payable at age 65.  If you are age 55 or older and have worked at least 15 years, you have the option of taking “early” retirement with a reduced pension. Also, if you made contributions into the prior Plan B Supplemental Contributory Plan, these funds will be included in your Retirement payout at age 65.  If you have any questions or concerns please contact Benefits Administration at 216/368-6781, Crawford Hall, Room 320.

  • When I terminate employment what happens to my Plan C Supplemental Retirement Annuity-SRA.

    You may withdraw your contributions from your SRA Tax-Deferred Plan after you have terminated employment; however, in addition to being subject to the federal tax there is also a 10 percent tax imposed on early withdrawals (those withdrawals made before age 59½).  A minimum withdrawal of these funds must be made before age 70½ and each year thereafter.  If you have any questions concerning you SRA account you may contact Benefits Administration at (216) 368-6781, Crawford Hall, Room 320, or your Retirement Carrier directly.

    Vanguard         (800) 523-1188 

    TIAA –CREF   (800) 842-2776

    MetLife Home and Auto insurance and MetLife Long Term Care Insurance
  • What happens to my MetLife Home and Auto insurance and/or my MetLife Long-term care insurance?

    These policies are portable, meaning that you can continue participating after your separation of employment.  If you are participating in any of the programs and wish to continue your coverage, contact MetLife directly at (800) 438-6388 (800-GET-MET8) to set up the continuation of your premium payments.

    Hyatt Legal Plans
  • What happens to my coverage for legal services provided through my Hyatt Legal Plan?

    Coverage will end on the last day of your final month of employment. If you wish to continue the coverage, contact Hyatt Legal Plans at 800 821-6400 for information about individual coverage.

    Tuition Waiver
  • Will I continue to receive the tuition waiver after my termination date?

    If you, your spouse or eligible dependent(s) are currently enrolled in classes at Case and receive a tuition waiver, the waiver will continue to be effective until the end of the semester as long as you have worked through: October 15th – Fall Semester, March 15th – Spring Semester, or July 15th – Summer Semester.

  • Final Paycheck
  • When will I receive my final pay?

    The final pay for a terminated employee will be in the form of a check and will be issued no later than the next normal pay day.

  • How will I receive my final paycheck?

    A terminated employee can pick up their final paycheck at the Records Office on the determined pay date or it will be mailed on the next business day when the  Employee Termination Checklist is completed and returned to the Records Office, Crawford Hall, Room 220.

  • What will be included in my final paycheck?

    The final paycheck for a terminated will include unpaid work time, overtime due, and the balance of unused vacation days. Deductions from the final check will be made for benefits contributions, docked time, outstanding expenses, and fines.

  • When will I receive my W-2 form?

    W2s must be postmarked by January 31st and will be mailed to terminated employees to the mailing address on file on/or before January 31st.


    Access to Computing Resources
  • When will my network password/ ID be discontinued?

    In most cases a terminated employee’s access to all university computing resources will discontinue on the date of termination or last day worked.


    Update of Personal Information
  • When should a terminating employee update their personal information?

    Terminating employees should update all personal information (including home and mailing addresses, home phone number, home email address, and emergency contact information) in HCM prior to the effective date of termination. Contact the Records Office in Human Resources at (216) 368-3271 if there is a relevant change in personal information after the effective date of termination.