ANDREW DALL & SON was the firm of one of the most important building contractors in 19th-century Cleveland. ANDREW DALL, SR. (1821-1887), emigrated from Scotland in 1852. His son, ANDREW DALL, JR., was born in 1850. The Dalls began primarily as stonecutters and masons, and by 1875 the family was well established as a contracting and building firm, having built the important Randall Wade and Backus houses on Euclid Ave., among others. It also built the EUCLID AVE. OPERA HOUSE (1875), St. Paul's Episcopal Church (1876), Adelbert College (1881), and the Wilshire Bldg., designed by John Edelman (1881). Other Euclid Ave. mansions erected by the Dalls were those of SYLVESTER EVERETT, SAMUEL ANDREWS (ANDREWS'S FOLLY), CHAS. BRUSH, and CHAS. BINGHAM (all demolished). Upon the death of Andrew, Sr., in 1887, the younger Dall formed a partnership with Arthur McAllister. Among other buildings, McAllister & Dall erected the Samuel Mather home in Bratenahl, the Society for Savings by Burnham & Root, the SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT in PUBLIC SQUARE, and the Erie County Savings Bank in Buffalo. After 1899 the firm continued as Andrew Dall & Son, building the CUYAHOGA COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1912) and the UNION CLUB (1905), as well as buildings in Dayton, Cincinnati, and Zanesville. The firm ceased to exist in 1913, and Andrew Dall died in 1923.