COLLAMER was the section of the present city of E. CLEVELAND that stretched from Lakeview on the west and Ivanhoe on the east. Bisected by Euclid Ave., Collamer was intersected by such roads as Noble, Taylor, and Lee to the south, and Doan, Shaw, and Collamer to the north. The original settlement of Collamer was established in 1812 when a tannery and gristmill were started by David Crocker near Collamer St. and Euclid Ave., where NINE MILE CREEK crossed. Named in 1850 for Judge Jacob Collamer, postmaster general under Pres. Zachary Taylor, the little colony had previously been known as Nine Mile Creek or Euclid Village. Some of the earliest churches in the Western Reserve were established in Collamer, including the Plan of Union Church (later the FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF E. CLEVELAND). Because of the large number of ministers who came to reside there, the area was referred to as Saints' Row. From 1870-79, Collamer was the largest grape-shipping point in the U.S., followed by Dover, OH. It was also noted as the territory of the Lakeview & Collamer Railroad, which ran north of Superior, turned east, and ran north of Euclid, where it again turned east to Chardon. Part of this route was used later for the rapid transit, which ran from E. Cleveland to PUBLIC SQUARE. Collamer was included in the township of E. Cleveland (est. 1847) and the village (later the city) of E. Cleveland (est. 1895).
Price, Ellen Loughry. A History of East Cleveland (1970).