Category: Neighborhoods and Landmarks

AMBLER HEIGHTS is located in the southwest corner of CLEVELAND HTS., OH. The boundaries include Cedar Glen Rd. (north), S. Overlook Rd. (east), Martin Luther King, Jr., Blvd. and N. Park Blvd. (south), and Ambleside Rd. and Martin Luther King, Jr., Blvd. (west). Streets in Ambler Hts. include Chestnut Hills, Denton, Devonshire, Elandon, and Harcourt roads.

The ANGLE was an Irish ghetto that developed on Cleveland's near west side in the late 1860s. The Angle was generally defined as the parish of ST. MALACHI'S CHURCH, an area north of Detroit Ave., east of W. 28th St., and down Washington Ave. to WHISKEY ISLAND, which it included.

ASIATOWN is a both a business and residential community on the eastside of Cleveland with a high concentration of immigrants and citizens of Asian descent. The majority of the residents are of CHINESE , KOREAN , and VIETNAMESE origin .

BIG ITALY was Cleveland's first major Italian settlement and the center of the city's produce markets. In the late 1890s, Italians settled in the HAYMARKET along Woodland near the city center. By 1900 this formerly Jewish area was 93% Sicilian.

The BIRD'S NEST (or Birdtown) is an area of LAKEWOOD settled in 1892 when the Natl. Carbon Co. (Union Carbide) laid out 8 narrow streets of 424 lots for factory housing. Populated by East European immigrants, the tiny community remains an ethnic enclave that still (1994) has a large Slovak population descended from the original settlers. Bordered by Madison on the north, W.

Buckeye-Shaker Square is a neighborhood and planning district in Cleveland that is bounded by Shaker Heights to the north and east, Abell and Imperial Avenues to the south, and E. 116th Street to the west.

BUCKEYE-WOODLAND was an east side Hungarian community, est. after 1880, which once held the largest concentration of HUNGARIANS in the U.S. Earlier Hungarian settlements at E. 79th and Holton eventually expanded to E. 72nd on the west, Woodland on the north, E. 140th on the east, and Kinsman on the south, with Buckeye Rd. being the prime location for homes and businesses.

The CENTER FOR COMMUNITY SOLUTIONS, among the earliest federated charities in the United States, organized in Cleveland on January 7, 1913 as the Federation for Charity & Philanthropy.

The CHESED SHEL EMETH CEMETERY ASSN. was established in 1903 to provide traditional Jewish burials for indigent Jews. During the height of Jewish immigration from Eastern Europe, many Cleveland Jews died without friends or family who could provide for a proper, ritually correct burial. An initial drive for donations culminated in the purchase of a tract of land on Ridge Rd.

CITY PLANNING. Like most American cities, Cleveland began as a speculative venture in real estate. Conceived as the capital of New Connecticut, the city was laid out in 1796 by surveyors with the original Moses Cleaveland expedition. The plat, a faithful reproduction of a New England town, with its characteristic commons, failed to treat either river or lakefront as a public amenity.

CLEAVELAND, MOSES (29 Jan. 1754-16 Nov. 1806), founder of the city of Cleveland, was born in Canterbury, Conn. In 1777, Cleaveland began service in the Revolutionary War in a Connecticut Continental Regiment, and graduated from Yale. Resigning his commission in 1781, he practiced law in Canterbury, and on 2 Mar. 1794 married Esther Champion and had four children.

CLIFTON PARK, a residential neighborhood in LAKEWOOD, is located on the high eastern bluffs at the mouth of the Rocky River. The name dates from 1866, when a group of Cleveland businessmen—among them Elias Sims, Daniel P. Rhodes, Ezra Nicholson, and JOSIAH BARBER—formed the Clifton Park Assn. to promote the area as a summer resort.

COLLAMER was the section of the present city of E. CLEVELAND that stretched from Lakeview on the west and Ivanhoe on the east. Bisected by Euclid Ave., Collamer was intersected by such roads as Noble, Taylor, and Lee to the south, and Doan, Shaw, and Collamer to the north.

The COLLINWOOD neighborhood of Cleveland is located about 7 mi. northeast of PUBLIC SQUARE. Originally part of E. Cleveland Twp., initially called COLLAMER, Collinwood was a village separate from Cleveland until 1910. By 1860 an omnibus line operated between Cleveland and Collamer via St. Clair Ave.

CUDELL is a neighborhood located around the Cudell Recreation Ctr. in the West Blvd. district of the west side, named after FRANK (FRANZ) E. CUDELL, who donated the property to the city. The area includes approx. 6 city blocks between W. 98th and W. 100th streets and Detroit and Cudell avenues.

CUYAHOGA COUNTY SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT. See SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT.


DETROIT-SHOREWAY is a community on Cleveland's west side, centered around W. 65th St. and Detroit Ave., bounded by OHIO CITY (W. 45th) on the east, W. 85th on the west, EDGEWATER PARK on the north, and Lorain Ave. on the south.

DIKE 14, a manmade peninsula on Lake Erie, is located four miles east of downtown Cleveland next to GORDON PARK.

DOAN'S CORNERS "definitely and accurately were the corners of EUCLID AVE. and what are now 105th and 107th Streets." So wrote Cleveland historian CHAS. ASA POST, a product of the neighborhood, in 1930.

ERIE ST. CEMETERY, preserving E. 9th St.'s original name, has been a municipal cemetery of controversy since 1826. Cleveland village trustees, desperate to replace the informal community burial ground south of PUBLIC SQUARE with a permanent site, purchased the location for $1 from LEONARD CASE, SR.

EUCLID AVE. follows the historic Lake Shore Trail of the Indians. It was laid out by Cleveland village trustees in 1815 and surveyed the following year. It takes its name from the small settlement of surveyors to the east in EUCLID, but as late as 1825 it was known as the Buffalo Rd. because it served as the major route to that city.

FAIRFAX is a neighborhood and statistical planning area in Cleveland's East Side. It is located between Chester Ave. to the north, East 72nd Street to the west, 106th and Woodhill to the east, and roughly along Woodland Ave. to the south.

FIVE POINTS is the area of COLLINWOOD where St. Clair Ave., E. 152nd St., and Ivanhoe Rd. come together to form a star. The name is more loosely given to all of Collinwood, that area of Cleveland bounded by E. 152nd on the west, St. Clair and Conrail tracks on the north, and E. 171st St. on the east.