DALL, ANDREW SR. (ca. 1821- 22 Nov. 1887) was a building contractor, stone cutter and mason who, together with his son, ANDREW DALL, JR. (1850-1923) formed ANDREW DALL & SON, building contractors, prominent during late 19th-century Cleveland.
Born in Markinch, Scotland, Dall served an apprenticeship of seven years in the stone-cutting trade, becoming thoroughly familiar with all the details of the trade, before moving to the United States with his family in 1852. Settling in Cleveland, Dall, an ambitious, enterprising and skilled tradesman, plied his trade and was soon contracting work and establishing his own accounts. He was successful from the beginning and became identified as a leading contractor and citizen of Cleveland.
In partnership with his architect son, Andrew Dall Jr. (who joined his father in business in 1874 to form Andrew Dall & Son) he erected the Randall Wade and FRANKLIN THOMAS BACKUS residences on EUCLID AVE., ST. PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (1876), and the dormitory and Adelbert College (1881). He also erected the EUCLID AVENUE OPERA HOUSE (1875) at East 4th & Euclid S.E. corner, and the Wilshire Bldg. (1881). Other Euclid Avenue mansions erected by the Dalls were those of SYLVESTER EVERETT, SAMUEL ANDREWS (ANDREW'S FOLLY), CHARLES BRUSH, and CHARLES BINGHAM. They also erected many other buildings of note in Cleveland and neighboring cities and were considered one of the most important building contractor firms in late 19th-century Cleveland.
Dall married Elizabeth Davidson in Scotland. They had six children, Andrew Jr., Robert, Mrs. John Protheroe (remaining three deceased).