LUNA PARK, often called "Cleveland's fairyland of pleasure," was created by Fred Ingersoll, a famous builder of amusement-park rides. The park was the 34th such construction project undertaken by the Ingersoll Constr. Co. of Pittsburgh. It was located on a 35-acre site bounded by Woodhill Rd., E. 110th St., Woodland Ave., and Ingersoll Ave. Construction began in 1904, and the park opened on 18 May 1905. Many architectural styles (including Italian Renaissance, Egyptian, Gothic, and Japanese) characterized the midway, which was lit by thousands of incandescent lamps. A pool marked the center of Luna Park.
In 1910 Ingersoll sold the very successful park to MATTHEW BRAMLEY, a paving contractor and an original investor, who subsequently installed many new rides. Favorites included a carousel, a ferris wheel, a Shoot-the-Chutes, Jack Rabbit and Pippin roller coasters, a funhouse, a roller rink, and a dance hall. Vaudeville shows, plays and operas also were staged at the park. Since the park had thrived on the availability of beer within the gates, its main source of revenue was removed with the beginning of Prohibition. Despite Bramley's many innovative ideas, attendance continued to fall, and Luna Park was razed in 1931. The roller rink, a last vestige of Luna Park, burned on 12 Dec. 1938.