PORTER, SIMEON C. (23 April 1807-6 May 1871), architect active in Cleveland between 1848-71, was born in Waterbury, Conn. to Lemuel and Margatana Welton Porter. His father was a woodworker and joiner. The family moved to Tallmadge, Ohio, in 1818, and later to Hudson. Porter erected several buildings of Western Reserve College (now Western Reserve Academy) and many Hudson houses before moving to Cleveland in 1848. From 1849-59, Porter was a partner of CHAS. W. HEARD, and their firm of Heard & Porter was the leading architectural company of the decade in Cleveland. They planned the Second Presbyterian Church (1852), Old Stone Church (1855), CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (1856), several commercial blocks, and numerous other schools and residences, including those of Hinman B. Hurlbut and Chas. Hickox. Porter separated from Heard in 1859 and continued practicing independently. He designed Cleveland's West Side High School in 1861, but he was most active outside of Cleveland, erecting buildings in Akron, Brecksville, Kent, Hudson, and Alliance. When Porter died in 1871, he was buried in the new LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.