ROEDIGER, STANLEY I. (9 Nov. 1910-1 Jan. 1998) formed Roediger Construction Inc. and played a role in helping to build some of Greater Cleveland's most prominent structures. Roediger was born in Ohio to William A., a building contractor, and Mary (Doyle) Roediger. He graduated from Shaw High School in EAST CLEVELAND and began a carpenter apprenticeship with his father. He was a sergeant with the Mounted 107th Cavalry A Troop prior to WORLD WAR II. During the war, he worked for E.F. Hauserman building landing mats for the island airfields in the Pacific and tugboats for the Navy. In 1945, he formed Roediger Construction, Inc.
Roediger had numerous projects in the medical field, including ST. VINCENT CHARITY GENERAL, PARMA GENERAL, HURON ROAD HOSPITAL, the CLEVELAND CLINIC, MT. SINAI, and WOMAN'S GENERAL Hospitals. He also helped build NOTRE DAME COLLEGE OF OHIO, Mount Augustine Mother House and Training Center in Richfield, JOHN CARROLL UNIVERSITY's gym and dormitories, CLEVELAND STATE UNIVERSITY's Main Classroom Building, Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church, St. Mary Catholic Church in COLLINWOOD, St. Charles Catholic Church in PARMA, and URSULINE COLLEGE. The commercial structures he helped build include Glidden Durkee's Research Center in Strongsville (see GLIDDEN COATINGS & RESINS DIV. (IMPERIAL CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES), the NASA Research Analysis Facility (see NASA JOHN H. GLENN RESEARCH CENTER), Schmidt's Brewery, a Union Carbide plant, the Sears at Great Lakes Mall, Shaker Towers, and the garage at the STATLER OFFICE TOWER.
In addition to his building accomplishments, he was a partner in the development of several landmark projects including Chesterfield Apartments in downtown Cleveland, with Theodore Berenson, Sydney Galvin, and Alfred Rankin, and both Forest View Apartments and Continental Airport Hotels, with Evan Hamilton. Mr. Roediger was active in BRATENAHL for decades. In 1960, he was appointed to the Planning Commission and served as Chairman until 1977. He was elected to council in 1962 and served until 1994. In East Cleveland, he served on the Board of Directors of East Cleveland Savings and Loan and was the Chairman of the Board when it was taken over by Horizon Savings and Loan. He served on the boards of the former Huron Road Hospital and Notre Dame College of Ohio. Roediger was an accomplished boater and pilot and a member of the Lakeside Yacht Club.
On August 2, 1941, Roediger married Rita C. Masek and they had six children: Barbara Notash, Ruth Flaherty, Mary Kay, Charla Bernstein, Stanley Jr., and William. Roediger died in Bratenahl, OH and is buried in CALVARY CEMETERY.