STONE, SILAS SAFFORD (13 Feb. 1815-18 Feb. 1884), real estate dealer, leased property to the U.S. government for military use during the CIVIL WAR. He engineered what was then the largest real estate sale in the history of the city when he sold one block of property valued at one-half million dollars to the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis Railroad (see RAILROADS). Born in Charlotte, VT, Stone came to Cleveland in 1832 and entered the forwarding and commissioning business. He became associated with Dennison and Foster and the Troy and Erie Transportation Company. By 1848 he was a member of the City of Cleveland Board of Trade. In the 1850s Stone began buying up large parcels of land in and around Cleveland. In August 1861, he leased property on University Heights in Brooklyn Township to the U. S. government. Camp Wade was built here for the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Calvary (see CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND). In the summer of 1862 the UNITED STATES GENERAL HOSPITAL was also built on this property, directly across from Camp Cleveland. Stone died at his Prospect Ave. home.