CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND (1861-65) were situated in 2 general locations. Four camps (Taylor, Wood, Brown, and Tod) were located along what is now Woodland Ave., between E. 22nd and E. 55th streets. Two camps (Wade and Cleveland) were located west of the CUYAHOGA RIVER in the area now known as TREMONT. A seventh camp (Cuyahoga) was located on E. 55th St. Each was considered a camp of rendezvous and training where local regiments organized before being sent into service in the Civil War.
Camp Brown was used by the 37TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY from Aug.-Sept. 1861. The main camp was located on the corner of Park (E. 46th) St. and EUCLID AVE. A separate parade ground was established at Kinsman St. (Woodland Ave.) and Case Ave. (E. 40th St.) on land owned by LEONARD CASE. Camp Cleveland was Cleveland's largest and best-developed Civil War camp. It was organized in July 1862 on a 35.5-acre site bounded by Hershal (W. 5th) St., Univ. (W. 7th) St., Railway St. (Railway Ave.), and South St. (Marquandt Ave). Approximately 15,230 officers and men, almost 5% of the troops raised in Ohio during the war, trained there. The Camp also housed federal units in transit from one assignment to another, as well as one group of former prisoners of war for a day, and one group of prisoners of war also for a day. There was never a prisoner of war camp established at Camp Cleveland at any time during the entire war. At the war's end, over 11,000 troops were paid off and discharged at Camp Cleveland, closed in Aug. 1865.
Camp Cuyahoga was a militia drill and training camp located at Willson's Grove, along what is now E. 55th St. The camp was used from 2-9 Sept. 1863 as a place of muster and encampment for over 2,500 officers from the 7th Ohio Military District (composed of Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, Geauga, Ashland, Trumble, Summit, Mahoning, and Portage counties). Camp Taylor was Cleveland's first and most-used Civil War camp, located at the fairgrounds of the Cuyahoga County Agricultural Society at Sterling (E. 30th St.) and Kinsman (Woodland) avenues. The camp was used by 4 regiments--the 7TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 8TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry--between Apr.-Oct. 1861. From late Oct. to Dec. 1861, the camp was used by the 2D OHIO VOLUNTEER CAVALRY.
Camp Tod, located along Kinsman (Woodland) Ave., was used by the 45th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in Dec. 1861. Camp Wade, located on land later to be occupied by Camp Cleveland, was used by the 2d Ohio Volunteer Cavalry from 26 Aug-21 Oct. 1861. Its boundaries (what are now W. 5th St., W. 7th St., Literary Rd., and Jefferson Ave.) differed somewhat from those of the later camp. Camp Wood was located on 20 acres of land situated on the east side of Forest (E. 37th) St., one-half mile from Kinsman (Woodland) Ave. It was used by the 41ST OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT from 17 Aug.-6 Nov. 1861.