The UNION CLUB OF CLEVELAND, located at E. 12th St. and Euclid Ave., is a private organization composed of many of the city's industrialists, businessmen, and professional citizens. One of the oldest social organizations in Cleveland, it was incorporated on 25 Sept. 1872 as the Union Club of Cleveland. A group of 60-70 men who had originally belonged to the Cleveland Club formed the new group for the purpose of having a place "for reading, for discussing the topics of the day, for entertaining and for promoting physical training and education." The founders included WM. J. BOARDMAN, Chas. A. Brayton, Chas. B. Pettengill, HENRY B. PAYNE, Wm. H. Waite, Lucien Hills, Waldemar Otis, WM. BINGHAM, SAMUEL MATHER, Harvey H. Brown, GUSTAV C. E. WEBER, Geo. Westlake, AMOS TOWNSEND, and Geo. E. Armstrong. The club purchased the home of GEO. B. SENTER near E. 6th St. and Euclid Ave. for its headquarters. On 25 June 1901, the club was incorporated for profit; it became the Union Club Co. and subsequently purchased the Castle property at E. 12th St. and Euclid Ave. A clubhouse, designed by Cleveland architect CHAS. F. SCHWEINFURTH, was dedicated on 6 Dec. 1905 to accommodate the increased membership (700-1,000) and remains the club's home. On 23 May 1961, the Union Club Co. amended its 1901 articles of incorporation, becoming an Ohio corporation not for profit. Although traditionally membership has been limited to men, several women have become members, and since 1882 ladies have had their own dining room and lounge.