WARRENSVILLE HEIGHTS, originally part of Warrensville Twp. (see HIGHLAND HTS. VILLAGE), incorporated as a separate village in 1927 and as a city in 1960. Southeast of Cleveland, it occupies 4.5 sq. mi. and is bounded by Warrensville Twp. and SHAKER HTS. on the north, BEDFORD HTS. and MAPLE HTS. on the south, Cleveland on the west, and ORANGE on the east. The township was named after one of the earliest settlers, DANIEL WARREN. During the late 1920s and early 1930s, the village was recognized as the "Geranium Center of the U.S.," with 8 large greenhouses on Emery and Richmond roads (see AGRICULTURE). In 1985 only 2 greenhouses remained. The postwar migration to the SUBURBS turned the agricultural region into a modern residential suburb. Between 1940-60, the population increased 20 times, from 1,175 in 1940 to more than 23,000 in 1960. The city has operated under the mayor-council form of government. The Warrensville Hts. School System also included Warrensville Twp. and NORTH RANDALL. Other services include police and fire protection, the MERIDIA SOUTH POINTE HOSPITAL, and a branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM. In the 1980s, Warrensville Hts. had approx. 100 light commercial and industrial concerns along the Emery Industrial Parkway, engaged primarily in the fabrication of metal alloys, chemical and oil derivatives, plastics, electronics, and food services. Other major enterprises included the BP AMERICA. (OHIO) Research Center. In 1980 75% of the more than 16,000 Warrensville Hts. residents were AFRICAN AMERICANS. By 2000, the ratio increased to over 90% African American out of a total population of 15,109.
See also SUBURBS.