WEST HIGH SCHOOL was Cleveland's second public high school, originating as a branch of CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL in the 3rd floor of a grammar school on W. 45th St. in 1852. It moved to locations on Clinton Ave. and Bridge Ave. before settling permanently in 1902 in a new building at Franklin and W. 69th, where it became a 6-year combined junior and senior high. Among its graduates were historians JAMES FORD RHODES and A. B. HART, Adm. ISSAC C. KIDD, librarian LINDA EASTMAN, and mezzo-soprano Mildred Miller. After its amalgamation in the new Lincoln-West High in 1970, West High's building was razed after serving for a short time as West Jr. High and replaced by the Joseph Gallagher Intermediate School.
View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here®