On Monday, Thursday, and Friday, advisors are available for advising hours in two formats and no appointment is needed:
- Virtual advising is available from 11 am to 1 pm, EST. If you have a question or concern that you need to address during that time frame, reach out to an advisor through the chatbox. The chatbox will be available on our website and you will see it pop up here only during this block of time. Please keep in mind that the advisor may be assisting multiple students, so we do appreciate your patience!
- In-person advising is available from 1 to 3 pm, EST in Tomlinson 143. No appointment is necessary.
Advising hours without an appointment are not available on Tuesday and Wednesday.
During advising hours, an ISS staff member is available to help with a variety of "quick" questions or tasks such as:
- answering visa status/immigration questions that require no more than 15 minutes*
- signing an I-20 or a DS-2019 for travel purposes
- assisting with questions related to services provided or forms used/generated
*If you are speaking with an advisor during advising hours, it may be determined that you need to schedule an appointment to continue your conversation. In that case, the advisor will help you schedule an appointment before you leave the office.
An appointment is required for anyone who wants to meet with an advisor outside of advising hours or if a situation/need requires more time for discussion.
Some examples of when an appointment would be required are discussing:
- a change of status for you or your dependent
- any complex situation that involves your visa status
- work authorization eligibility or processes
Appointments may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including a brief description of what you would like to discuss. A staff member will respond by email to schedule the appointment and you will have the option to meet via Zoom, phone, or in person.
Please note: We generally require 24 hours notice and do not schedule same-day appointments. This is to help advisors manage their time and so that they can be best prepared to help you.