The Office of International Student Services (ISS) is located in 143 Tomlinson Hall and open all year- Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.- except for university holidays or when otherwise noted. ISS staff is available during walk-in hours or by appointment.
Effective January 14, 2019, ISS will be launching a chat box on the website so that ISS staff can advise students virtually!
With the addition of virtual advising, the current structure will remain as Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, but will change as follows:
- Virtual advising will be available 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., EST. If you have a question or concern that you need to address during that time frame, reach out to an advisor through the chat box. Please keep in mind that the advisor may be assisting multiple students, so we do appreciate your patience! The chat box will be available on our website here: https://case.edu/international/international-student-services/maintaining-visa-status
- In-person advising will be available 1-3 p.m., EST. Come by the office (no appointment needed) then to meet with an ISS advisor.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. There are no walk-in hours on Wednesday. Walk-in hours during university designated break periods and summer are subject to change and notification will be made via ISSNews to inform students.
Always call ISS prior to visiting if you have any doubts about our staff's availability.
During walk-in hours an ISS staff member will be available to help you with a variety of "quick" questions or tasks such as:
- answering general questions that require 5-7 minutes (virtually or in-person)
- signing I-20 or DS-2019 visa documents for travel purposes (in-person)
- accepting material that you're dropping off and require an advisor to review in-person (examples: CPT paperwork.)
If you have received an email from ISS that your documents are ready to be picked up (examples: an I-20 for CPT, work permission, mail, etc), you may visit ISS during business hours- Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.- and front desk staff will be glad to assist you.
Any question or service that requires assistance from an ISS staff member will not be accepted outside of walk-in hours when an advisor is available in-person. Please request an appointment if you need to meet outside of walk-in hours.
An appointment is required for anyone who wants to meet with an advisor outside of walk-in hours or requires more than a few minutes of consultation with a walk-in advisor. If you visit the office with an issue that you think can be handled during walk-in hours, it may be determined that you actually need to speak with an advisor. In that case, we do encourage you to make an appointment while you're in the office and continue to work with that advisor until your situation is resolved.
Some examples of when an appointment would be required are discussing:
- a change of status for you or your dependent
- any complex situation that involves your visa status
- work authorization eligibility or processes
Appointments may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be prepared to briefly describe the nature of your appointment when you contact us. That information will help us prepare for the appointment. Same-day appointments are not generally available; an appointment for the next business day is typically the earliest we can schedule.
Requesting Travel Signatures on Immigration Documents (I-20 or DS-2019)
Primary visa holders (F-1 or J-1) may request travel signatures for themselves and their dependents. Spouse dependents may request travel signatures on behalf of themselves and minor dependents, but they may not request a travel signature on behalf of the primary visa holder.
Picking up Material from ISS
ISS will never give your material to anyone but you. If you are not able to visit the office in-person to collect the material, you must contact the office and make arrangements to have the material sent to you by mail.
Submitting Material to ISS
When dropping off material, everything must be complete and accounted for in order to submit. ISS does not accept partial applications or incomplete materials. You will be asked to return after you’ve compiled everything.
ISS will never accept material from one person on behalf of another. It is the individual’s responsibility to be present at the time of submission so any concerns or issues can be discussed at that time.