Host An Event

An image of the Greenway in front of the Museum.
Matt Shiffler

The Nord Family Greenway is available for booking year-round, subject to the approval of Case Western Reserve University. Priority is given to events sponsored by departments or student organizations of the university and the Cleveland Museum of Art. If Parcel II and/or Parcel III is included in the request, then the university may need to coordinate with the museum in approving the event. Below are policies that govern the Greenway's usage.

To host your event, please complete our event request form. Reservations must be made at least 90 days in advance of the event and are subject to availability. The request will be approved or denied approximately one week after the completion of the online reservation request. However, if the university needs to coordinate the Cleveland Museum of Art, the approval process may take up to 30 days.

Once the request has been approved, the event sponsor must provide a site layout, timeline, and copies of all proper permits two weeks prior to the event. Any set up needs to be conveyed after this time may not be able to be accommodated.

The Nord Family Greenway is available for booking year round. When making your plans, please note that the greenway is not a covered space and does not have restrooms. Neither shelter nor indoor backup space can be provided. Please plan accordingly.

Though there are no rental fees for the use of this space, event sponsors should be aware that service fees may be charged for the following services:

  • Staffing
  • Grounds – Custodial 
  • Facilities – Power
  • Police and Security

These fees will billed to the event sponsor following the event. A deposit of 25% is required 2 weeks after approval has been received. This deposit will be applied to the total cost of services.

All event cancellations must be made at least 72 hours prior to the event. Any cancellations by external clients after this time are subject to forfeiture of the deposit.

Sponsors are required to provide their own tables, chairs, tents, signage, decorations and other rentals and equipment for their event. The greenway must be returned to its original state by 9 a.m. the day following the event per university policy.

Staking tents is not permitted because of the existing irrigation system on the property.  

Vehicles are prohibited on the greenway.

Event sponsors are responsible for requesting that the university provide any trash and recycle cans in addition to those that are already existing. Event sponsors are also responsible for cleanup and trash removal necessary to return the space to its original state after the event.

The event sponsor is responsible for any damage to furniture and grounds resulting from its use of the facility. The sponsor is subject to additional charges if damage occurs.

If warranted, CWRU police have the authority to close down an event when the behavior of the group does not comply with university policy and/or applicable laws. 

A site plan is required two weeks prior to the event date for all events and is subject to approval.

For external clients (not affiliated with CWRU or The Cleveland Museum of Art), a certificate of general liability insurance is required with limits of at least $1,000,000/$2,000,000 and excess liability of $5,000,000. Case Western Reserve University should also be named as an additional insured. A copy of the insurance document must be provided two weeks prior to the event.

The City of Cleveland typically requires permits that the event sponsor must secure for such items as:

The event sponsor is responsible for contacting the appropriate department with the City of Cleveland to secure the proper permits. 

Case Western Reserve University requires all catered events to select a caterer from an approved list. Caterers can be found at

Event sponsors are required to follow the University Alcohol Use guidelines ( regarding the sale and use of alcohol. When advertising an event, sponsors are not permitted to advertise the availability, cost, or brands of alcohol that will be served. If alcohol is served, the bar will close one half hour before the event ends. 

Event sponsors are responsible for securing appropriate permits for alcohol served or sold at events. Please see permit section for details on permits that may be required. 

A police officer is required for all events. Additional security support, in accordance with federal guidelines, is required when alcohol is provided and/or a group is larger than 150 people. This fee will be confirmed with the Office of Public Safety. Security costs are typically billed at an hourly rate with a 3-hour minimum.  In case of emergency on campus, please call 216-368-3333 to reach the Public Safety Communications Center.

Securing parking is the responsibility of the event sponsor and should be coordinated in advance of the program. Numerous lots are available near the greenway at the guests’ expense. Event sponsors can contract with a valet service company and then coordinate logistics with the university. A campus map can be found at

Event sponsors are not permitted to sell or contract outside vendors to sell products during their rental without prior approval.

All amplified music, including but not limited to: PA systems, bands, and boom boxes must be kept at low levels. Event sponsors must be respectful of the surrounding areas. University Police will monitor and respond if necessary.

Case Western Reserve University is a tobacco-free campus.

Guns and firearms are not permitted.

All marketing and promotional materials must include the full name of the property, The Nord Family Greenway at Case Western Reserve University and require approval by the university.