The centerpiece of the university’s strategic plan, “Forward THINKING”, is its emphasis on building interdisciplinary initiatives. “We will establish powerful alliances and enrich our core strengths.” The plan identified several cross-cutting areas of existing or potential strength in research and scholarship that address topics of broad importance to society and present opportunities for distinction.
The University Budget Committee serves as an advisory body to the Provost and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is charged with oversight of the budgeting and forecasting model(s) and related processes, assumptions and activities. UBC takes a university view, as opposed to a school or unit viewpoint, in its deliberations and recommendations.
UBC conducts assessments and analyses and recommends improvements to enhance the effectiveness of the university’s financial operating model including the authorities, accountabilities and responsibilities of central units, schools, auxiliaries and UGEN units. UBC reviews budget assumptions and plans for academic units and administrative groups, including annual operating budgets, multi-year forecasts and capital budgets. UBC also recommends changes in the processes, rules and exemptions governing allocations, funding, initiatives, indirect cost recovery, and tuition sharing among and across the university and its constituent units.
The Provost, in consultation with the CFO and Chair of the Faculty Senate Finance Committee (FSFC), appoints members to UBC based on expertise and commitment. UBC membership includes:
- a minimum of six tenured, full-time faculty members serving 3-year staggered terms
- one dean serving a 2-year term
- one business officer selected from one of the eight schools serving a 2-year term,
- the Associate Vice President for University Planning, and
- the Vice President of Budget & Financial Planning
The Provost appoints the Chair of UBC. The Chair of the UBC serves as an ex-officio member of the FSFC, attends FSFC meetings and reports on UBC priorities, activities and progress.
- Christopher Cullis - College of Arts and Sciences (Chair)
- Jon Carlson - VP of Budget and Financial Planning
- Cena Hilliard, Business Officer Representative
- Mark Joseph - Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
- Mary Kerr - Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing (Dean Representative)
- Alan Levine - Case School of Medicine
- Kenneth Loparo - Case School of Engineering
- Carol Musil - Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- Cassandra Robertson - School of Law
- Mark Taylor - Weatherhead School of Management
- Victoria Wright - AVP of Planning & Administration