Selected Publications on Mixed-Income Communities
- Joseph, Mark L. and Miyoung Yoon. (In press). Mixed-Income Developments. In The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Studies.
- Joseph, Mark L., Robert J. Chaskin, and Henry S. Webber. 2007. The theoretical basis for addressing poverty through mixed-income development. Urban Affairs Review 42(3): 369-409.
- Joseph, Mark L. and Feldman, J. 2009. Creating and sustaining mixed-income communities: Conceptualizing the role of schools. Education and Urban Society 41(6): 623-652.
- Joseph, Mark L. 2006. Is mixed-income development an antidote to urban poverty? Housing Policy Debate 17(2): 209-234.
- Joseph, Mark L., Robert J. Chaskin, Amy T. Khare and Jung-Eun Kim. 2017. The organizational challenges of mixed-income development: privatizing public housing through cross-sector collaboration. Urban Research & Practice. 1-23.
- Joseph, Mark L. 2010. Creating mixed-income developments in Chicago: Developer and service provider perspectives. Housing Policy Debate 20(1): 91-118.
Mixed-Income Social Dynamics
- Khare, Amy. T., Mark L. Joseph and Robert J. Chaskin. 2014. The Enduring Significance of Race in Mixed-Income Developments. Urban Affairs Review. 1-30.
- Chaskin, Robert J., Florian Sichling, and Mark L. Joseph. 2013. Youth in Mixed-Income Communities: Context, Dynamics, and Response. CITIES 35: 423-431.
- Chaskin, Robert J. and Mark L. Joseph. 2013. “Positive” gentrification, social control, and the “right to the city” in mixed-income communities: Uses and expectations of space and place. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37(2): 480-502.
- McCormick, Naomi, Mark L. Joseph, and Robert J. Chaskin. 2012. The new stigma of relocated public housing residents: Challenges to social identity in mixed-income developments. City & Community 11(3): 285-308.
Chaskin, Robert J., Amy T. Khare, and Mark L Joseph. 2012. Participation, deliberation, and decision-making: The dynamics of inclusion and exclusion in mixed-income developments. Urban Affairs Review 48(6): 863-906.,>
- Chaskin, Robert J. and Mark L. Joseph. 2011. Social interaction in mixed-income developments: Relational expectations and emerging reality. Journal of Urban Affairs 33(2): 209-237.
- Chaskin, Robert J. and Mark L. Joseph. 2010. Building "community" in mixed-income developments: Assumptions, approaches, and early experiences. Urban Affairs Review 45(3): 229-335.
- Joseph, Mark L. and Robert J. Chaskin. 2010. Living in a mixed-income development: Resident perceptions of the benefits and disadvantages of two developments in Chicago. Urban Studies 47(11): 2347-2366.
- Joseph, Mark L. 2008. Early resident experiences at a new mixed-income development in Chicago. Journal of Urban Affairs 30(3): 229-257.
Public Housing Transformation and Resident Relocation:
- Joseph, Mark L. and Robert J. Chaskin. 2012. Mixed-income developments and low rates of return: Insights from relocated public housing residents in Chicago. Housing Policy Debate22(3): 377-405.
- Chaskin, Robert J., Mark L. Joseph, Sara Voelker, and Amy Dworsky. 2012. Public housing transformation and resident relocation: Comparing destinations and household characteristics in Chicago. Cityscape 14(1): 183-214.
- Joseph, Mark L. 2013. Cityscape mixed-income symposium summary and response: Implications for antipoverty policy. Cityscape 15(2): 213-222.