Beginning in 2018, the Center launched a program of research focused on the childhood lead poisoning in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. With funding from the George Gund Foundation, the Mt. Sinai Healthcare Foundation, the Saint Luke’s Foundation, and the Eva L. and Joseph M. Bruening Foundation, the Center is engaged in ongoing research and dissemination activities. With the launch of the Lead Safe Cleveland Coalition in January 2019, the Center has taken on the role of providing key research and data support to the work of the Coalition.
Lead Safe Cleveland Coalition Data Dashboard
The Lead Safe Cleveland Coalition Data Dashboard has answers to common questions and information on the rollout of Cleveland's Lead Safe Ordinance and how it is affecting children, families and neighborhoods.
- Coulton, C., Urban, A., Henderson, M., Schramm, M., Fischer, R.L. (2020) Building a Profile of Rental Properties and Landlords. Cleveland, OH: Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University. January 2020.
- Fischer, R. L., Steh, S., & Chan, T. (2019). Early Childhood Lead Exposure among Cleveland Kindergarteners by Neighborhood and School Enrollment. Cleveland, OH: Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University. January.
- Anthony, E., Steh, S., Salas Atwell, M. & Fischer, R. L. (2019). Early Childhood Lead Exposure in Cuyahoga County and the Impact on Kindergarten Readiness. Cleveland, OH: Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University. January.
- Coulton, C., Richter, F., Kim, S. J., Fischer, R. L., & Cho, Y. (2016). Leveraging Integrated Data Systems to Examine the Effect of Housing and Neighborhood Conditions on Kindergarten Readiness. Cleveland, OH: Jack, Joseph & Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University. April.
- Coulton, C., Richter, F., Kim, S.J., Fischer, R. L., & Cho, Y. (2016). Temporal effects of distressed housing on early childhood risk factors and kindergarten readiness. Children and Youth Services Review, 68, 59-72.
- January 2020. Building a Profile of Rental Properties and Landlords.
- October 2020. Characteristics of Rental Properties and Landlords in Cleveland.
- June 2020. Downstream Consequences of Childhood Lead Poisoning: A Longitudinal Study of Cleveland Children from Birth to Early Adulthood
- Lead Poisoning: A Longitudinal Study of Cleveland Children from Birth to Early Adulthood
- January 2019. Early Childhood Lead Exposure among Cleveland Kindergarteners by Neighborhood and School Enrollment.
- WCPN Ideastream. Reading to get the lead out: How the brain can fight poisoning (A. Glausser), 08/23/19
- CWRU Observer. Professor explores link between lead poisoning, juvenile delinquency (K. Toledo), 04/05/19
- WEWS-TV Channel 5 News. Case Western study to focus on lead paint poisoning correlation to juvenile delinquency (J. Pagonakis), 03/25/19
- Rolling Stone Magazine. Awaiting the Lead-Poisoning Tipping Point (J. Smith), 02/20/19
- WCPN Sound of Ideas with Mike McIntyre. New Coalition Aims To Make Cleveland "Lead Safe", 01/24/19
- WUAB 43 Forum Channel 19. Harry Boomer Show. 01/13/19
- Nonprofit Quarterly. The Cleveland Plan for Poisoning of its Children is No Plan (D. Barber), 01/11/19
- Pacific Standard. A Report Shows Lead Levels in Cleveland are as High as Flint’s (R. Worby), 01/11/19 h
- BBC Radio. R. Fischer interview on Up All Night (L. McCormick), 01/11/19
- WOIO Channel 19 News. Case Western study finds high levels of lead in Cleveland children, potentially impacting their development and behavior (H. Boomer), 01/08/19
- WCPN Radio Sound of Ideas. Case Researcher Compares Cleveland's Lead Levels To Flint, Michigan (L. Bushak), 01/09/19
- WJKW Channel 8 News. Study: 25 percent of CMSD kindergarteners have been exposed to lead (J. Jordan), 01/08/19
- WOIO Channel 19 News. Cleveland’s poor neighborhoods plagued by high levels of lead, which is seeping into children (H. Boomer), 01/08/19
- Cleveland Scene. There’s something RACE about these CMSD lead findings RACE that we can’t quite RACE put our finger on (S. Allard), 01/08/19
- Medical Press. Elevated blood lead level in early childhood associated with increased risk of academic problems in school-aged children, 01/08/19
- Cleveland Scene. Blaine Griffin Says Lead Legislation still 'A Work in Progress,' Denies Mayoral Implications of Delay (S. Allard), 01/07/19
- WKYC-TV Channel 3 News. STUDY | 1 in 4 kindergartners at Cleveland schools have been exposed to lead (B. Simmons), 01/07/19
- WEWS-TV Channel 5 News. Lead Studies show staggering level of lead exposure among Cleveland children (J. Vandenberge), 01/07/19
- Cleveland Plain Dealer. ‘An uphill battle’: Lead poisoning stunts students’ learning while Cleveland leaders fail to tackle lingering problem (R. Dissell), 01/06/19
- Cleveland Plain Dealer. High-quality pre-K doesn’t get most lead-poisoned children ready for kindergarten (B. Zeltner), 01/06/19