What is the Freezer Challenge?
The International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories (I2SL) and My Green Lab partner to encourage laboratories across the world to achieve greater energy efficiency and cold storage practices with the Freezer Challenge. The competition runs from January 1st to July 1st each year, but it's not too late to jump in now! All questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do you participate?
- All laboratories with cold storage can register at www.freezerchallenge.org
- Points are awarded for actions that improve lab cold storage practices. These are tracked using the Freezer Challenge scoresheets.
- Scoresheets are available once registration is complete and can be edited until July 1st.
Why participate? Benefits to participating include:
- Removal of unneeded, unwanted, or non-viable samples from refrigeration units.
- Improved researcher access to laboratory samples and reagents.
- Prolonged lifespan of freezers via preventative maintenance as well as reduced costs associated with maintaining refrigeration units.
- Avoid buying more freezers by freeing up space.
- Lower energy bills and the carbon footprint of the University.
- CWRU has over 300 ULT freezers that cost approximately $250,000 annually to operate and have a substantial carbon footprint. Engage in more sustainable laboratory practices and save electricity by participating in the Freezer Challenge!
What is the Freezer Rebate Program?
CWRU offers a $3000 rebate to laboratories that replace their ULT freezer with an approved energy efficient model. Benefits include high sample integrity, low waste heat, and the lowest energy use. For more information, reach out to email@example.com.