Tips and Incentives for Alternative Transportation
Commuting to CWRU within University Circle can sometimes be a challenge. As part of the campus community, there are a few perks that can ease the tension of getting to campus.
- Ride the RTA - Staff earning less than $50,000 per year are eligible to purchase monthly RTA passes at a 55% reduced rate. Learn more on the Access Services page.
- Biking or walking to work can earn a $100 Wellness incentive for faculty or staff member with Benelect medical plan coverage. Find more information at the Wellness page.
- uGO is a collaborative effort of public and private partners in Cleveland’s University Circle neighborhood that is leading implementation of the district’s Transportation Action Plan - find lots of commuting info here such as bike rack locations, road closures, a transportation resource map and more.
- Find the greenest, cheapest, fastest ways to move around Ohio with the Gohio Portal. You can connect with people to carpool, vanpool or bikepool with on the portal as well as find RTA routes and safe walking routes. We've created a tutorial for using the Gohio Portal to help get you started.
- Take advantage of local shuttles. For trips around campus and University Circle, Access Services manages an extensive network of shuttle buses, lovingly referred to as “Greenies” around campus. Additionally, Circle Link Bus services campus and stops at a number of University Circle locations including the Art Museum, Cleveland Natural History Museum, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Hospital, and the Uptown Shopping and Entertainment District. The Heights AM Loop and Evening South shuttles head into Cleveland Heights, through Coventry to help both students and staff get to and from campus. Check the shuttle map for full details.
- If you both live and work near five or more colleagues, organizing a vanpool through Enterprise/ vRide would be a great idea. Your group would rent the van and take turns driving. There are tax and insurance deductions you can take advantage of along with the reduced cost of gas and vehicle maintenance. Learn more on NOACA's website.
Sustainable Transportation Videos
Presentations given during our Earth Day celebration in April 2017, Shift Your Ride: Sustainable Transportation