Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) / Green Card

Case Western Reserve University regularly sponsors employees for permanent residence in the first three employment-based preference categories (EB1, EB2, EB3). To initiate the green card process, a department must obtain necessary internal approvals and agree to pay all associated fees. Fees will vary depending on the category of filing, the employee's qualifications, and the procedural requirements. At the present time, all applications for permanent residence are processed by outside immigration counsel. For additional information on filing fees, please contact the VISA Office.

Case Western Reserve University does not limit green card sponsorship to certain employment classifications (for example, only to tenured faculty members). However, some positions may not qualify, per USCIS eligibility requirements. If the foreign national and the offered position meet the eligibility requirements, it is the department’s decision whether to sponsor the employee for permanent residence. Some departments may (and do) limit which positions they will sponsor. The University is not required to provide green card sponsorship to all employees, but the VISA Office and the department will take into consideration the unique facts surrounding each employee’s immigration history, qualifications, and position in deciding whether and when to sponsor a green card.

Regulatory requirements state that only full-time, “permanent” positions qualify for green card sponsorship. Positions without a specified end date may qualify (such as tenured positions or staff appointments, etc.), but unpaid, transitory, training, or temporary positions do not. This includes postdoctoral appointments, temporary/visiting faculty positions, internships, and visiting scholar positions. Positions based on reappointment may qualify as long as the department intends to renew the position for the foreseeable future.

Please note: If the Department will sponsor the permanent residence process, may only use the University’s approved immigration attorneys and must follow established procedures for sponsorship. Please visit our internal site for additional information. Employees may, if they wish, pursue a self-sponsored petition, such as an EB-1A or EB-2 NIW, on their own or with their personal immigration counsel. 

Permanent Resident Categories

Green Card Categories

Processing Information

EB1A for Individuals of Extraordinary Ability Processed by outside immigration counsel, facilitated by the VISA Office. Employees may also self-petition using personal immigration counsel. 

EB1B for Outstanding Researchers and Professors

Processed by outside immigration counsel, facilitated by the VISA Office.

EB2 for Advanced Degree or Exceptional Ability

Processed by outside immigration counsel, facilitated by the VISA Office. Employees seeking National Interest Waivers in this category may self-petition using personal immigration counsel.

EB2 “Special Handling” for employees in positions that include classroom teaching 

Processed by outside immigration counsel, facilitated by the VISA Office.

EB3 for Skilled Workers and Professionals

Processed by outside immigration counsel, facilitated by the VISA Office.

Adjustment of Status

The University may sponsor the labor certification, if needed, and the immigrant petition (I-140). Once the I-140 is approved, the final step is an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) filed by the employee and their dependent family members. The employee may file this application on their own behalf, or may retain personal counsel. Please contact the VISA Office for additional information.

Ready to Initiate Green Card Sponsorship?

Departments can submit a request on behalf of their employee by completing the Green Card Initiation form.