Dr. Chance is an internationally recognized expert in proteomics and structural biology with over 270 publications who has built multiple internationally recognized science and training programs over a 25-year career in academia. He is also the Director of the Center for Proteomics and Bioinformatics (CPB) at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). The faculty, staff and users of the CPB, including its structural biology facilities at Brookhaven National Laboratories, currently publish 100 papers per year using technologies ranging from next generation sequencing to mass spectrometry to crystallography and in fields from cancer to infectious disease to vision research. The CPB’s programs have attracted over $150 million in funding since 2005. He has been a leader in clinical and translational research within the Center for Translational Science Collaborative and the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. He has led an NIH-funded Molecular Biophysics PhD program and recently established a Systems Biology and Bioinformatics graduate program at CWRU in 2011.
Recently, as Vice Dean for Research at the School of Medicine, he has reshaped the strategic directions of the Academic Medical Center in research and graduate education to respond to current trends in biomedical research. He has led an innovation and commercialization program to develop therapeutics, the Council for Advancing Human Health. He is a member of numerous advisory boards and frequently invited lecturer at national and international meetings. He has multiple patents and patent filings and has launched a successful startup company in the field of precision medicine, NeoProteomics, Inc. His career goals are to provide leadership as both a scientist and administrator to accelerate the development and translation of biomarkers and treatments for complex diseases and develop the next generation of scientific leaders through a wide range of academic and commercial initiatives.
Awards and Honors
- 2015-Present: National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center Advisory Committee
- 2014-2015: Member, NIGMS National Centers for Systems Biology Program Evaluation Committee
- 2014, 2013: Member, NIGMS Systems Biology Center Review Panel (also 2007)
- 2014: Member, NIAMS Accelerating Medicines Partnership in Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus Review Panel
- 2011-Present: Charles W. and Iona A. Mathias Professor of Cancer Research
- 2010-2020: Editorial Board Member, Molecular and Cellular Proteomics
- 2010-2015: Editorial Board Member, Journal of Clinical Bioinformatics
- 2009-Present: Chief Scientific Officer, NeoProteomics, Inc. Cleveland, OH
- 1995-Present: Director, Center for Synchrotron Biosciences, National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven Labs