HIGHLAND HILLS VILLAGE was created out of Warrensville Twp. in 1990 as a result of a plan by FIGGIE INTL. to move its headquarters to northeastern Ohio. The township was established in 1816. It is located southeast of Cleveland and bounded on the north by BEACHWOOD, on the west by SHAKER HTS., on the east by ORANGE, and on the southwest by WARRENSVILLE HTS. The original Warrensville Twp. covered 25 sq. mi., and included portions of the present Shaker Hts., Univ. Hts., and Warrensville Hts. and all of BEACHWOOD. Warrensville was named for settler DANIEL WARREN, who arrived in 1810. Throughout the 19th century, it was a rural agricultural community (see AGRICULTURE). Between 1904-15 progressive city and county institutions located in the present township: the County Infirmary (1904, now part of Highland View Hospital); the county tuberculosis sanatorium at Cooley Farms (1906, later the Sunny Acres Sanatarium, see CUYAHOGA COUNTY HOSPITAL SYSTEM); and the CLEVELAND WORKHOUSE and House of Correction (1912). The township contained the Highland Park Cemetery, the Highland Park Golf Course, and the Eastern Campus of CUYAHOGA COMMUNITY COLLEGE. The population of Highland Hills in 2000 was 1,618.
See also SUBURBS.