Category: Libraries and Museums

BARR, JOHN (26 Jan. 1804-24 Jan. 1875) Cleveland's first magistrate and local historian, was born in Hartford, Trumbull County, the son of Thomas and Suzanna Barr. The Barr family came to Euclid Township in 1810 when Thomas Barr was appointed the first pastor of the FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF EAST CLEVELAND.

The BAY VILLAGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY was established in 1960 during the sesquicentennial celebration of BAY VILLAGE. Several area pioneers, including Reuben Hall and the Cahoon sisters, had proposed the creation of a local historical society 50 years earlier. In 1973 the city of Bay Village named the society as manager of Rose Hill, the Cahoon family property at 21715 Lake Rd.

The BEDFORD HISTORICAL SOCIETY was organized in 1955 (inc.

BLOSSOM, VOYAGE OF THE See VOYAGE OF THE BLOSSOM.


BRETT, WILLIAM HOWARD (1 July 1846-24 Aug. 1918), librarian of CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY and founder of the Western Reserve University Library School, was born in Braceville, Ohio to Morgan Lewis and Jane Brokaw Brett. He became the school librarian at Warren High School at 14.

BRIGGS, JAMES A. (6 Feb. 1811-22 Aug.

CAMLS (the Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System), a consortium of libraries established in 1975, fosters increased access to area library collections and coordinates services among its members. It was created under the provisions of a federal Library Services & Construction Act (LSCA) grant secured by its predecessor, the Library Council of Greater Cleveland, an informal group organized in the early 1960s.

CASE HALL was a noted concert and lecture hall located in the Case Block on Superior, at PUBLIC SQUARE. The Case Block displaced private residences on Superior and necessitated the moving of the ARK, the meeting place for Cleveland's literary and scientific leaders.

CATHCART, WALLACE HUGH (2 Apr. 1865-6 Sept. 1942), prominent bibliophile, is best known for his association with the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY of Cleveland, first as its president and then as its director. Born and raised in Elyria, Ohio, Cathcart first became fascinated with books as a bookstore clerk.

The CHAGRIN FALLS HISTORICAL SOCIETY was established in 1946 to preserve documents and artifacts relating to the history of CHAGRIN FALLS VILLAGE. Until 1965 the organization's collections were stored in the village hall and in the homes of its members. In that year the society acquired the Shute Memorial Bldg. at 21 Walnut St. through the bequest of Laura Shute.

CHAPIN, HERMAN M. (29 July 1823-24 May 1879), a businessman interested in libraries, was born in Walpole, N.H., to Nathaniel and Fanny Bowen Brown Chapin. He came to Cleveland in 1848 as a partner in the wholesale grocery warehouse of Chas. Bradburn & Co.

CLEAVELAND, MOSES (29 Jan. 1754-16 Nov. 1806), founder of the city of Cleveland, was born in Canterbury, Conn. In 1777, Cleaveland began service in the Revolutionary War in a Connecticut Continental Regiment, and graduated from Yale. Resigning his commission in 1781, he practiced law in Canterbury, and on 2 Mar. 1794 married Esther Champion and had four children.

The CLEVELAND ACADEMY OF NATURAL SCIENCES (known later as the Kirtland Society of Natural Sciences) was Cleveland's first scientific organization and the forerunner of the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY. The academy was formally organized on 24 Nov. 1845 by JARED P.

CLEVELAND AREA METROPOLITAN LIBRARY SYSTEM. See CAMLS.


The CLEVELAND CHILDREN'S MUSEUM is an educational facility aimed at a primary audience of children age 3-12. Its inspiration may be traced back to the first director of the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, FREDERIC A.

The CLEVELAND HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY was created in Feb. 1965 by Western Reserve Univ.

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS-UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS PUBLIC LIBRARY, a school district public library system, had its origins in the 1921 opening of the Cleveland Heights Public Library, first housed in the basement of Coventry Elementary School.

The CLEVELAND JOURNALISM HALL OF FAME honors figures both living and deceased who have made outstanding career contributions to the local print and electronic media. It was instituted by the PRESS CLUB OF CLEVELAND, which installed 11 charter members at a dinner in 1981 addressed by ABC newsman Ted Koppel.

The CLEVELAND LAW LIBRARY, 1W Lakeside Avenue Fl 4, one of the largest membership law libraries in the United States, was founded in 1869 by WILLIAM J. BOARDMAN and leading members of the Cuyahoga bar "for the promotion of the science of the law." The library first opened on the third floor of the old Cuyahoga County Court House at 1219 Ontario St.

The CLEVELAND LIBRARY ASSN. (CLA), chartered in 1848, was a leading intellectual organization in Cleveland during the latter half of the 19th century. The CLA was established by the Young Men's Literary Assn. and incorporated with 200 shares of stock at $.10 cents each, the yearly profit to be used for the acquisition of books.

The CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART is acknowledged as one of the finest art museums in the U.S. Its collections, facilities, and programs have an international reputation. The museum, incorporated in 1913 and opened to the public on 6 June 1916, was made possible by HINMAN B.

The CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY (inc. 1920) is the latest and most public in a long Cleveland tradition of institutions focused on natural history. Earlier organizations included the "ARK," the CLEVELAND ACADEMY OF NATURAL SCIENCES, and the Kirtland Society of Natural Sciences.

The CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY, the third largest research library in the United States, has provided free public access to books and information since 1869. A school district library, it is governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees appointed for seven-year terms by the Cleveland Board of Education.

COLKET, MEREDITH BRIGHT JR. (18 Aug. 1912-19 May 1985), archivist and genealogist, was born in Strafford, Chester County, Pa., son of Meredith Bright and Alberta (Kelsey) Colket. He earned his B.A. (1935) and M.A. (1940) in history at Haverford College, and received an honorary Litt.D. from BALDWIN-WALLACE COLLEGE in 1974. Colket joined the Natl.