Applying for Aid

The Office of University Financial Aid processes applications for the graduate/professional schools at Case Western Reserve with the exception of the CWRU School of Medicine. Medical students can get the information they need by visiting the School of Medicine Office of Financial Aid.

Step 1: Initial Application

All first-time applicants or continuing students, including U.S. military service members and their dependents, must submit these forms:

  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 
  2. The CWRU Financial Aid Form, available from the My Financial Aid Portal.
  3. A Memorandum of Assistance (MOA), completed and sent to the Office of University Financial Aid from your graduate department or professional school. Students enrolled in the School of Dental Medicine are exempt from submitting a MOA.

CWRU FAFSA Code: 003137

In the course of processing a student's application, the Office of University Financial Aid will sometimes require additional information. Students will be notified of the request via email. You can also check the status of your application at any time from the My Financial Aid portal.

Step 2: Required Application Supplements (if requested)

Step 3: Notification of Financial Aid Eligibility

The Office of University Financial Aid will notify you of an initial Financial Aid Award. This initial award is based on data obtained from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The types and amounts of financial assistance given on the initial Financial Aid Award are tentative until all application requirements have been met. Whenever additional documentation is submitted to the Office of University Financial Aid, the initial award will be revised based on the new information. It is not unusual for students to receive multiple award revisions over the course of the application process as additional documentation is submitted.

Step 4: Other Application Requirements

Some students may need to submit additional documentation. This information will be requested by email and can be viewed by the student by accessing My Financial Aid and viewing the Documents tab.

Downloadable versions of these documents are available from our forms library. IRS Tax Transcripts may be requested by the filer at Telephone requests may be made at 1.800.908.9946, or the filer may complete and mail IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript for Tax Return.

Students with questions regarding loans can contact us at or 216.368.6153.